Before joining the Leicestershire Young Archaeologists’ Club (LYAC) or attending any of its sessions, it is important that parents/guardians of prospective new members and existing members read this section.
Who can attend a LYAC session?
LYAC is for young people aged 8-18. It is not necessary for children and young people aged 8-18 years to have a parent/guardian present. We will ensure that your child is well looked after. All LYAC volunteers have been carefully recruited and trained by YAC UK and have undergone an enhanced criminal record check. For more information on YAC UK’s policy for safeguarding children please go to www.yac-uk.org/safeguarding-children.
If your child has a disability or additional needs, we kindly ask that you make the LYAC team aware of this in advance in case we have to make special arrangements for each meeting. We do try to make our meetings hands on and accessible. However, on some occasions this might not be possible due to the nature of a particular activity or location.
LYAC volunteers are not able to help children with medical or personal care, except emergency First Aid. If your child needs this kind of help a parent/guardian will need to accompany them at sessions.
If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact a member of the LYAC team at LeicestershireYAC@gmail.com.
How often do we meet and what do we do?
LYAC typically meets once a month, usually for two hours on a Saturday or Sunday. Sometimes we run whole-day events and if special opportunities arise we occasional put on extra events in addition to the monthly meetings (this is usually during the summer months when there is more opportunities to be outdoors).
We run all sorts of archaeological and historical activities, including visiting and investigating archaeological sites and historic places, trying out traditional crafts, taking part in excavations and laboratory work, and lots more. Please explore the rest of our website for our current programme and what we’ve been up to in the past.
How much does it cost for my child to join?
LYAC is a charity and runs on a not-for-profit basis. Charges are usually a combination of an annual membership fee and a per-session charge. This is used for room hire, cost of materials etc.
Current charges are:
- Individual annual membership = £8 per child (8-18 years) per year
- Family membership (for those with more than one child per family) = £6 per child (8-18 years) per year
- Per session charge = £2 per child (8-18 years). NOTE: this is a minimum charge per session and may be more depending on the venue and activity.
Payment will be collected for membership at the young person’s first meeting then on an annual basis at the April meeting. This can be made by cash or cheque (payable to Leicestershire YAC with the name of the YAC member on the back).
LYAC also runs regular fundraising activities in order to meet the running costs for the club and YAC UK. The LYAC team may ask for your help with fundraising occasionally.
What are the benefits of LYAC membership?
LYAC organises a minimum of 11 monthly sessions a year (we often take August off as it’s the summer holiday!). LYAC members are welcome to attend as many of these as they like (or all of them!). Every December session ends with a Christmas party and during the summer we try to arrange as much fieldwork as possible.
As a local branch of YAC UK, LYAC members get a YAC Pass which gets them special offers at museums and other attractions all over the UK. Go to www.yac-uk.org/places-to-go to search for attractions with offers for YAC Pass holders. By joining LYAC, our members also have a chance to get other goodies through their membership, participation in activities and other competitions.
What do I need to do for my child to join LYAC?
If your child is interested in joining LYAC please contact the team at LeicestershireYAC@gmail.com. We recommend that they come along to the next session to meet our other members and to get a taste of what we get up to.
If they are still interested in joining, we will ask you to fill out YAC UK’s standard club membership form. This includes emergency contact details for parents/guardians, details of medical conditions and additional needs and also includes a section to provide photographic permission.
A copy of the form can be downloaded from here www.yac-uk.org/forms-for-members or can be collected from a member of the team during a session. We ensure that these forms are updated annually.
Should your child have specific medical needs, for example allergies that need the use of an epi-pen, we will require an additional healthcare plan to be filled in. This can also be downloaded from www.yac-uk.org/forms-for-members and will again be updated annually.
What does LYAC asks of parents/guardians?
It is important that both parents/guardians and the LYAC team work together to ensure that our members not only have an enjoyable time but are safe throughout. The following are some simple guidelines for what is expected of parents/guardians regarding their behaviour and the behaviour of their children:
- It is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to ensure that their children are dressed appropriately for the type of activity that they are attending. Information will be provided by the LYAC team before each session outlining what members will need to wear/bring.
- If attending a session, it is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to ensure that their children do not misbehave or cause disruption for the other members.
- If attending a session, it is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to follow any rules set out by the LYAC team. If one of the LYAC team asks a member to do OR not do something, please respect their request as it will have been made to ensure the safety of the member/s.
- It is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to remember that, even though they are present with their children, there are other LYAC members present who do not have a parent with them. Unattended members are the responsibility of the LYAC team. If you are aware of an issue concerning an unattended member pleases highlight it with a member of the LYAC team so that they can resolve it.
- It is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to ensure that their children do not bring knives (such as penknives) or weapons with them to meetings. If cutting tools are required for a session, an appropriate solution will be provided by the LYAC team.
- It is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to ensure that all medical and contact details are kept up to date. The LYAC team will check this information annually but should be informed of additional changes between checks.
- If it is felt that an activity is unsafe or not suitable, it is the responsibility of the parents/guardians to notify the LYAC team immediately.
Do you have any questions or feedback?
Your feedback is important to us as a group. If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions regarding Leicestershire Young Archaeologist’s Club please feel free to contact us on LeicestershireYAC@gmail.com or speak to one of the LYAC team at our next session where we will be available at the end of the session if you would like to discuss anything.