In 2013 and 2014 archaeologists from ULAS carried out a series of watching briefs during the construction of ‘Cathedral Gardens’ a new public open space located to the south and west of Leicester Cathedral.
The newly completed Cathedral Gardens, looking across the site of Wyggeston’s Hosptial towards Leicester Cathedral.
As part of this development, various ground-works were undertaken within both the graveyard of Leicester Cathedral and the St Martins House carpark. Within the carpark lay the site of Wyggeston’s Hospital, constructed in the early 16th century and demolished in the 19th century.
The Hospital is named after its main benefactor and founder William Wyggeston (1472-1536) a wool merchant and three times mayor of Leicester and a parliamentary burgess for the Borough. The intention of the founder was for the hospital to care Leicester’s needy poor of twelve men and twelve women. The Hospital was erected in 1519…
View original post 304 more words